The Railway

 

Rooty Hill Railway Station opened on 23 December 1861 as the terminus of the Main Western line. It was extended to St Marys on 1 May 1862. The station was rebuilt in the 1940s. 

 

The original Mount Druitt Railway Station opened on 19 August 1881. A replacement station was built in 1946 and again on 8 December 1974 a new station opened 500 metres to the east. 

All images on this site are copyrighted by Mount Druitt Historical Society or where mentioned, the person providing this photo.

 

Indigenous Australians are advised that this album may include images or names of people now deceased.  

 

Rooty Hill Railway Station

Rooty Hill Railway Station

c.1917

Old Mount Druitt Station

Old Mount Druitt Station

Built 1881

View of the Rail Line

View of the Rail Line

An early scene of Mount Druitt looking west c.1930 Photo taken from 26 Palmerstone Road, then the only dwelling on this road. Pictured is the famous Blue Mountains Train,‘The Fish’, Sydney bound in the steam era. The vast vacant land seen here was formally a portion of McMahon Estate. Picture courtesy of Mrs B Pippen

Mount Druitt’s first railway station

Mount Druitt’s first railway station

Opened 19th August 1881. Mr A Guthrie the Station Master is seen here in 1912. Mount Druitt’s second Railway Station was also built here in 1946 and demolished in 1974. The third and current station was built a bout a mile further east in 1974. Photo courtesy of Mr Malcolm Guthrie

Old Mount Druitt Rail Crossing

Old Mount Druitt Rail Crossing