Mount Druitt Race Circuit

 

The Mount Druitt Circuit was built on the remnants of a second world war airstrip which was located on the current Whalan Reserve land. In 1950, the circuit was leased by Belfred Jones and the venue became the host circuit of Australian Racing Drivers Club. 

 

Crowds in excess of 15,000 attended the circuit and was one of the best motor racing circuits in the country due to spectators being able to see the whole circuit. The circuit was extended to 2.4 mile configuration in 1951.

 

The circuit was closed in 1958 following a dispute between Belfred Jones, the ARDC and the regulatory body. Belford cut a trench around the circuit using a mechanical digger.

 

In the 1960's the eastern section of the circuit was developed into a housing estate and the airstrip section was converted into the Whalan Reserve sporting complex.  
 

All images on this site are copyrighted by Mount Druitt Historical Society Inc. or where mentioned, the person providing this photo.

 

Indigenous Australians are advised that this album may include images or names of people now deceased.  

 

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

One of many memories of Mount Druitt's motor racing history between 1948 and 1958. In this period, the famous track saw crowds often in excess of 15,000 and was one of the best motor racing circuits in the country. One reason was spectators could see all of the 2.25 mile race track from start to finish.(L-R) in their race cars, Lex Davidson, Jack Brabham and Dick Cobden. Photo courtesy Mr Rob Smart

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

The famous Mount Druitt race track in the 1950’s Photo courtesy Mr Rob Smart

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

The famous Mount Druitt race track in the 1950’s Photo courtesy Mr Rob Smart

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

Mount Druitt Race Circuit

Jack Brabham (front) and Bill Hudson (rear) at the track in the 1950’s Photo courtesy Mr Rob Smart