More photos can be found on our facebook page
Around Mount Druitt
Photos that illustrate Mount Druitts history; from buildings and streets to the people who’ve played a role in creating the town.
This is a sample of our collection. Please contact us for specific photos.
Photos will soon be availale for purchase.
for more information on purchasing photos.
All images on this site are copyrighted by Mount Druitt Historical Society Inc. or,where mentioned, the person providing this photo.
Indigenous Australians are advised that these album may include images or names of people now deceased.
Old Mt Druitt Mural
The mural is located in the parking area near the ex Station Masters cottage at Old Mount Druitt on the Western Highway side of the rail track. The mural depicts some of the areas heritage building and sites, The Manse, Colyton Public School, The Waterholes and the WW2 RAAF Base and the tractor is appropriate as Mount Druitt was a rural area.
Great Western Highway, Oxley Park
West side of Ropes Creek looking west. Essex Rest and Picnic Ground on right. C.1920’s
Carlisle Avenue, Mount Druitt
Formally Grantham Road looking North from Jersey Road Photo courtesy - George Nicolaidis
Mount Druitt Industrial Site
Mount Druitt Village Service Station
Mount Druitt Village’s first and only Service Station c.1954. On the left is a 1954 Holden model hire car owned by Mr W.E. Swords. Centre is Mr Dick Simpson with his 1948 Holden car. Photo courtesy of Mr Swords.
Mount Druitt Taxi Service
1948. Photo is taken near the corner of Belmore Ave and North Parade and near the site of the first and second Mount Druitt Railway Stations. The 1930 Cadillac (L) was replaced by the 1930 Oldsmobile. Pictured is driver Ned Watts. Only one hire car operated in the Mount Druitt District until 1953 when it was increased to two cars. Photo courtesy Mr W. Swords
The start of a wheelbarrow race at the Great Western Highway, along the Mount Druitt Road to the railway station in 1935 Fred Watkins (L) and Norm Spargo pushing Dick Wallace Photo Courtesy Norm Spargo
Opening of Mount Druitt Hospital
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II performing the official opening of Mount Druitt Hospital Monday 11 October 1982 - 11.30am accompanied by NSW Premier The Hon Neville Wran Photo Courtesy The Western Standard
Mount Druitt Postal Delivery
Whalan Public School
Official Opening Whalan Public School - 1969 Photo courtesy Mr George Nicolaidis
Mount Druitt Swimming Pool
Relay Race during Rooty Hill High School Swimming Carnival at Mount Druitt Pool - 1978 Photo courtesy Western Standard
Colyton General Store
c.1900 Photo courtesy Dick Simpson
1960 floods looking east from Colyton
Looking towards Mount Druitt Village Shopping Centre
Climpsons Fruit and Vegetable Store
Situated south side of the Great Western Highway. C.1952 Photo courtesy Mr Jack Purdy
Mount Druitt Taxi Service
In 1954, Mount Druitt's taxi fleet grew to two. In 1956, two way radios were installed. Under Western Districts Radio Cabs, the fleet grew to over seventy. (L-R) FJ Holden and Morris Oxford. Photo courtesy Mr Bill Swords